Athletic is not a word that readily describes me. I suck at sports and generally hate being all sweaty and bothered. So when the reality of having made a decision to join a marathon sank in, I wanted to take back my registration right away. But my stupid pride won't let me. Kaya lagi kuno ni nako. Besides, I once listed joining a marathon in one of my things to do lists. I've said it again and I'll say it once more. Be careful what you wish for.
It wasn't so much the thought of joining a marathon that has me worried but its joining a marathon and SURVIVING it. I have dire visions of me just keeling over in the middle of the race. Di ko man lang matapos. Seriously, I wonder if this latest caper of mine is going to be the death of me. :D
That's why I took my training seriously. Well, if you can call ambling around in a park and running in spurts training. Bumili pa talaga ako ng new shoes for this (My contribution to the Great Singapore Sale). But I discovered something last Sunday. Ang sarap pala tumakbo. Well, at least until I feel that my lungs are going to burst.
There is a certain freedom and joy in running. The wind against your face and your feet pounding the ground. Somehow I felt that I was in my element. There was no thought of anything else but just to run.
Siguro nakatulong ang ambiance ng park. Our local park looks like a tropical rain forest. Complete with Beware of falling durians and branches and Don't feed the monkeys signs. It was refreshing to run through all the trees. Much better than running under direct sunlight in a track oval.
I just loved the whole Zen(nish) experience in the park. I felt focused and strong. Like I was ready to conquer the world. I imagined that I was running towards the fulfillment of my biggest dreams.
Naks, look at me waxing poetic about running. The things nga naman you discover about yourself habang tumatanda ka. :D
But still, I can't wait to lace up my running shoes again and make the long run towards my dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment