A happy problem is when you have a Borders $70 gift card and a 30% discount coupon and you have to decide what to buy with it. I did not want to get my usual chick lit books since I can easily borrow that in the library. Singapore's libraries seems to have a surfeit of my favorite genre.
I decided to buy an autobiography so that I would be entertained and inspired at the same time. I'm over my self-help phase so I did not even venture into that aisle. Besides I have all the self-help I need in the Holy Bible.
I took an interest in a Dalai Lama book written by Pico Iyer called, "The Open Road: The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama". Pico Iyer is a well-known and well-respected travel writer and I've always been curious about the Dalai Lama. Two of my interests in one book. Travel stories and an inspiring figure. Winner! :D
But being the fickle-minded me, I decided to trawl through the other aisles just to see what else is available. I arrived at the languages section, another hobby of mine. So down went the Pico book and I happily debated which language I wanted to learn this time. I was deciding among French, Italian and Spanish. I figured that I would need formal lessons in French in order to get the accent right. It wouldn't do just to be able to read right? And Italian didn't sound practical enough. I finally decided on a Spanish grammar and vocabulary book since Spanish is one of the world's most popular languages. I figured that it would come in handy someday. You know, when I finally make it to Barcelona, Madrid and make the pilgrimage to Santiago ala Paolo Coelho.
So now I have my Spanish Demystified book in front of me and have another happy problem on hand. When will I ever get through this? :D
No comments:
Post a Comment