Thursday, May 01, 2008

Working the Wok

Well, actually more like a frying pan and a single cooking pot since that's all I have to cook with here. I used to hate cooking with a passion, thinking it a tedious and thankless task. Now, I no longer actively hate it but I ain't close to loving it either. Yan ang nagagawa ng walang microwave sa bahay. :D

I've made a few (emphasis on few) dishes already. Ang dali lang pala ng ibang recipes. It isn't as involved as I originally thought. I've made menudo, humba, torta, sinangag and just this morning, sinigang. My first dish that actually involved me consulting (and following! :D) a recipe was the menudo. While I wouldn't call it a roaring success, naubos naman. ;) I used fresh tomatoes instead of tomato sauce because the recipe I followed called for it. So it wasn't as red as it should be. Pero I still like to use fresh tomatoes anyway.

I watched all those cooking shows where they use all the dishes in the house and stack it in the sink to wash later. I discovered that I can't stand doing that. As soon as I use something and if I'm not using it again, I wash it while I'm waiting for the sauce or soup to simmer. I can't stand a sink crammed full with dirty dishes.

I also don't like to taste what I'm cooking. I just like to add seasoning according to what I feel and good luck na lang sa mukaon sa akong giluto. :D So far, nakachamba ko and nobody has spit out anything that I've served them yet. :D

Iba pala ang satisfaction when you see people enjoying what you just made and giving you that thumbs up sign. Or even just eating their plate clean and scraping the bottom of the serving dish.

Who knows, I might just be able to add domestic goddess to my resume or at least my Friendster profile. :D

No comments: