
This post is a tribute to all the friends I've gained when I went to school for a few short months in Hawaii. I can't believe that in those short short months I've made some amazing friends. Friends that really get me. And showed me different perspectives of the world. And made me laugh till my stomach hurts. Still do actually. Whenever we do conference chats with my classmates these days, I find myself laughing out loud at some of their zany and totally out of this world comments. They make my day, these crazy friends of mine. I miss them so.
In my class, we represent six countries. Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, France, Vietnam and of course, ang Pilipinas kong mahal. And anyone who has worked with a Japanese before is familiar with the stereotype that the Japanese are very polite and have difficulty saying no. Well, my Japanese friends definitely don't subscribe to that stereotype. They are some of the most forthright people in class.
I remember one time, one of my classmates was celebrating his birthday (his 65th making him the oldest in class), and he was asked what his birthday wish was. Before he could answer, Sayuri one of my crazier Japanese classmates, answered for him. She said, "To live longer." We were all silent for one moment and then burst out laughing. It was a good thing that Shinji (the birthday boy or man or lolo) was such a good sport and just took it all in stride. Sayuri was the same person who commented, "She looks like a horse" when we were looking at some girls that my guy classmates were interested in. And true to her name, she does a mean imitation of a geisha. So hilarious, it still makes me smile whenever I recall it. :D
And another one of my most notable friends is Amandine. My beautiful French classmate from Nice. She's the youngest but she might as well be up there with Shinji in terms of maturity and world views. She's the one who totally gets me. When we do girltalks I am constantly amazed at the things I learn from her. To think I beat her by a decade in terms of human years. And she's so perceptive. She can totally dissect me. It's scary and at the same time comforting. It's scary how transparent I appear to her and at the same time comforting that there is one person in the world I don't have to explain myself to. Who totally understands why I behave the way I do without me saying a word. And who makes my problems seem as simple as 1+1=2. She can reduce my drama and say it in one sentence and suddenly my life makes sense again. Sometimes, I think she's my soulmate.
And of course, there is another French girl I consider one of my bestest friends. Laure. While Amandine can be very forthright, being European and all and doesn't mince words when she wants to say something. Laure is the more diplomatic of the two of them. She's also one of my girltalk buddies and we can totally relate to each other. It's like we are cut from the same emotional mold. She's just the more logical one of course. And has less drama in life. :D But both of them are both totally cool girls. They are the reason I am making a trip to France one of the more urgent missions in my life. I simply must see my galpals again. Unless of course they visit me first here in Cebu.
And another classmate that I will never forget is Lily. She's my Muslim classmate from Jakarta. Pero nungka, she's one of the more gungho members in class. She goes jogging, yes headscarf and all. And she's funny as heck too. And says "sh*t" a lot like its nobody's business. Iba rin sya ha :D
And of course, my male classmates. Who are all Japanese with one token representative from Vietnam. They are all so caring and just takes good care of us girls. Driving us to where we want to go and just basically at our beck and call. I remember I was crying in class (PMS again, I gotta stop this na) and it was the guys who were there for me. They stayed with me until I finished packing my things and drove me home. And it was my guy classmates who comforted me when I had another crying session (for a different reason this time). One by one, they sat beside me and tried to give me advice, made jokes to make me smile, encouraged me and basically were being good good friends. I owe them a lot, my guy classmates. Not the least is gasoline for driving me all over Honolulu. :D And for making their ears bleed by my girl problems. :D
And not to forget my other Pinay classmate. Who is so hardworking (lawyer kasi) and is so there everytime I need someone. My ever dependable laag-mate, tabi-mate, and just a very very good friend. She's my role model in kasipagan. Don't forget mare ha, everytime kailangan ko ng legal advice, I've got you on speed dial. :D
Looking back, I am once again awed at how God is just blessing me with all these amazing people. People who have made their marks in my life and made me a better person because of them. They are the ones who make life wonderful. All these people who come and go and leave your life a little bit more sunshiny than before.
Thank you God. And to you guys, I miss all of you like you wouldn't believe.
No comments:
Post a Comment