Thursday, March 08, 2007

5"4', 5" 5'

This was one of the mean taunts we used as children to describe persons who were limping as they walked. I know we were being really mean tiny monsters but I supposed we didn't know any better.

And maybe what happened to me recently was the world's karma for being such a politically incorrect brat.

I stubbed my little toe against the bathroom door last Tuesday. And it HURT!! BIG TIME!!!
My teeny tiny pinky toe started to swell immediately. The next day I had to wear slippers to work because sandals only made the pain worse. And I had to limp as I walked in order to avoid putting pressure on my little toe as the pain shoots right up my brain and makes me gasp for breath.

Wednesday morning, someone stepped on me. Right on top of my poor already blue and bruised pinky toe. And it turned black almost immediately. I limped my way to the doctor's office. The doctor took one look and said that I should have it xrayed already since it looked too swollen and black for comfort.

And let me tell you that walking was starting to be such a pain already. Not only because I had to limp to get anywhere but because I walked so slow. Normally I am a fast walker and would leave everyone behind. But this was something else. I felt it took me forever to get anywhere. Especially when I have difficulty holding it in as I slowly inched my way to the bathroom.

But crossing streets was the worse. I always get the feeling that someone was going to run me over out of sheer impatience because it took so long for me to cross the road.

I went to the laboratory yesterday to have my left foot xrayed. And I just got the results today. Thank God nothing was broken. "All bones are intact" according to the result sheet. That's good to hear.

But I learned a lesson from all of this. It taught me not to take forgranted such a simple thing as walking normally and to be more compassionate to those who can't. For I have walked a mile in their shoes and I now know what it really feels like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could relate. I was able to experience not being able to walk, even stand, for a day.