Sunday, March 11, 2007

Negosyo Ta Bai!

In an attempt to widen the choices and possibilities open to me, I signed up for a entrepeneurship seminar last weekend. It sounded like a good idea then. In actuality, I only liked 2 out of the 4 speakers. Well, 50% is an ok batting average I guess.

The CEO of Matimco was such an engaging speaker. He had style and substance. I learned a lot about running a business and the blood, sweat and tears it entails. A few gems I got from his talk.

* Differentiation and Positioning (Magpalahi ta!)
* In every crisis, there is opportunity
* Do not diversify or build a business on something you are not good at
(Know your core competence)
* Have a meaningful career (Something that makes a difference and has a contribution)

I could sense that Matimco will go farther and be bigger with him at the helm.

Next up was the owner of Island Souvenirs. He really wasn't saying anything helpful . I was playing a game on my cellphone during his entire speech because I got so bored.

Next came the owner of Coffee Dreams. A lot of the girls were already swooning because in fairness he was quite a looker. Pero he seemed more gwapo before. Anyway, he was another boring speaker. He had something to say and his speech had substance but his voice is such a monotone. Parang kulang ng vitamins. I again escaped into QuadraPop (kind of like Tetris) reality.

The last speaker was a management guy from Julies Bakeshop. A speaker I enjoyed listening to because of his inato style of speaking with a wry self-depreciating humor that never failed to make us laugh. He talked about franchising. The advantages and disadvantages. He did a good job of selling the Julies Bakeshop franchise. I, myself, is thinking of getting myself one. For one thing, they had one of the lowest-priced franchise available. And they seemed like an extremely viable and long-lasting brand. Sige lang, planuhan ug tiguman ta na. :D

Negosyo ta bai!

No comments: