Monday, February 18, 2008

A Reformed Pack Rat at Borders

We spent Sunday house hunting, going to church and browsing through Borders. C got a $70 gift certificate from his company last Christmas and we were thinking of blowing it all yesterday. Pero wala rin kaming nabili kahit isa. Even though Borders was bursting with books and stuff we were salivating over.

I wanted to have the books that were calling out to me from the shelves but I did not want to have them forever. Translation: mas gusto ko manghulam na lang sa library. :D Aside sa (trying to be) kuripot ako, I am trying to limit myself from acquiring more things. Shoes, clothes and bags not included of course. :D

Before I used to save and store a lot of things. All in the name of sentimental value. Up until last year, I still had notebooks, notes and other stuff from my elementary years (elementary!). I steeled myself and put all of them in the trash. They were of no use to me now and they would only weigh me down. Not to mention harbor suck icky creatures like cockroaches and other creepy crawlies.

Mas brutal na ako ngayon with old keepsakes and even gifts. If the gift has no practical use for me, out it goes. Either to someone to who can have better use for it or kung sira na, in the trash. I do not dry flowers given to me (although I keep the cards kung meron). Once lanta na, I throw them in the trash. Enough na that I was able to enjoy their beauty while they were alive.

I no longer attach a sentimental value to a lot of things. Which was the reason I was a pack rat in the first place. Not only do I find it easier to organize my things but its also easier to travel through life since I no longer have to carry so much excess baggage. Especially now that movement seems to be in my cards this year.

No comments: