Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Giving It Up for Lent

I was supposed to go shopping today. I supposed I did in a way. If you can call buying a motherboard for my office shopping. I told myself that I would give up shopping for Lent. Make that shopping for myself. If the stuff I'm buying isn't for me, then its ok. :D So since tomorrow is Ash Wednesday already, today was supposed to be my last day of unbridled retail therapy. Stop muna ako from doing my civic duty of contributing to the economy. :D

But then I thought that that sacrifice is pretty much a piece of cake for me. I've gone for longer without having any new things. Especially during the times when I was in between jobs. Or the time I was really determined to wipe out my credit card debt and implemented strict austerity measures.

Then a passage from the Bible suddenly sprang into my mind. "It is mercy that I want, not sacrifice" (Matthew 12:7). It was a very timely and quite appropriate reminder from God considering my present situation.

I admit that I have been quite short-tempered and resentful lately. Especially with my housemates who haven't been paying their share of the rent on time or not paying at all due to being laid off. I have been griping and whining about having to shoulder their share of the bills. I guess my compassion has a very short lease.

After the first two months of not receiving the complete payment, I guess I started to resent having to scale back on my budget to accommodate the higher expenses. Of seeing my carefully worked-out budget plan being torpedoed to nothingness because of all the extra bills I have to swallow.

But God sure knows how to chastise me. I read this passage during the open prayer meeting of Lingkod. "Much will be required of the one who has been given much, and much more will be asked of the one entrusted with more." (Luke 12:48) I am the one in a more fortunate position than they are so I guess God put me where I could be of use to other people. I don't have to be resentful that I have to give up a few luxuries to be able to extend help but instead be grateful that I am the one giving help instead of receiving it.

For I am really thankful to God for all the blessings He has given me. Especially my job in these recession times. A job that not only pays well but is something that I enjoy (but don't tell my boss that) :D

I guess in the time of Lent (not just but more so), its not just about giving up but about giving more. Giving up a few luxuries and bad habits but also giving more compassion, more mercy, more understanding.

""For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

There is no bigger sacrifice and no greater mercy than that.

No comments: