What I wouldn't give to experience a proper Halloween. But I'd settle for being home on All Saints and All Souls day. Its been years since I've been able to visit the cemetery on these occasions. I know that my mother wants me to be there. I sometimes think she consider it more important for me to be there on those days than on Christmas.
If I were home, we'd be going to the cemeteries with tin cans of white and yellows mum and extremely anorexic candles ready to offer them to our dearly departed. The cemeteries would acquire a festive air complete with boom boxes belting out the latest pop tunes. I know its sounds disrespectful even a touch sacrilegious but trust the Pinoys to make a celebration out of what should be a somber event.
We don't go as far as preparing a spread beside the tombs of our ancestors to feed living visitors. But we do make it a point to put up a tent and make sure our little plot is cleaned and well-lighted.
After saying my prayers for my lolas and lolos, I amuse myself by observing the Larry Alcala cartoon worthy tableau that is Kalag-kalag in my little town. People descend in droves towards the cemeteries and its an occasion for catching up with long-lost relatives and forgotten friends. I don't want to say this because like I said, it should be a somber occasion but its so much fun. I get highly entertained watching bucolic life play out around me.
Now, this exercise has made me homesick. Good thing I'm due to go home this weekend. But I don't think I would have time to visit my grandparents resting places.
Sigh.
Sa Pasko na lang Lolo and Lola ha?
No comments:
Post a Comment