Monday, October 08, 2007

Cheesecake Etc.

I first heard about Cheesecake Etc. when it was featured in our local paper. It sounded interesting plus I knew where it was located. Don't you just hate it when a restaurant you want to try has an obscure address? It's all about location baby.

During my errand day I treated myself to some cheesecake and putanesca in between ticking off the items in my to-do list. When I arrived there, the restaurant was practically empty. Well, it was 3 pm after all. There were only two other customers aside from me.

I was handed the menu and the first thing that came to my mind was, mahal! The only items under a hundred pesos were the drinks. The cheapest cheesecake was worth P115. Not exactly spare change. I was trying to choose between the spaghetti with meatsauce and the spaghetti putanesca. I chose the putanesca because the spaghetti with meatsauce contained hotdogs. I don't like hotdogs with my spaghetti and I don't like it sweet either. I'm no fan of Pinoy spaghetti.

Spaghetti Putanesca (P165)

Mango Passion (P115)

Then for dessert I chose the Mango Passion. It was described to be cheesecake topped with mango puree. Sounds promising so I ordered that one too. Plus the fact that it was one of the cheaper choices was not too bad either. To wash it all down, I had the fresh lemonade which turned out to be really fresh lemonade with lemon bits floating all around.

fresh lemonade with real lemon pulp bits (P90)


The verdict? So-so. The putanesca was ok. It was good but nothing to write home about. The toasted wheat bread that accompanied it was lami though. The Mango Passion turned out to be this miniscule serving of cheeseback about the size of a credit card and an inch thick. The words, P115, credit card-sized keep running through my head while I was eating it. The Mango Passion was just ok also. I was able to finish it, though I think the credit card size had more to do with it than its taste. I mean I wasn't in ecstacy over the creaminess of it or anything. It was just ordinary cheesecake.

Cheesecake Etc. was good for a try but I won't be coming back anytime soon. Besides, P370 is really too much to pay for merienda. That's more than what I usually spend for dinner.

No comments: