Monday, March 09, 2009

The National Geographic Store

Enter and be edutained

what's a National Geographic store without amazing Nat Geo photos

Coming from my church group's meeting, I decided to make a stopover at Vivo City to buy some fried prawn noodles for dinner. On the way to the food court on the topmost floor, I was pleasantly surprised to find a National Geographic shop inside. I didn't even know they sold anything, much less have an actual store. To digress a bit, there was also a promo booth for Hello Kitty for MAC. Loved the black Hello Kitty balloons.

After buying our dinner, I couldn't help but make a detour to visit the Nat Geo shop. It's wonderful inside. A treasure trove full of exotic finds from all over the world. I was so proud to see several Catalina lamps which as the tag indicated, came from Cebu Island in the Philippines. Wow, Cebuanos are on a rampage of world domination! Go Bisdak!

I saw ethnic jewelry from Kenya, antiques chests and bauls (don't know if they were reproductions though) from Spain, China, Italy and several other countries. I would have to go back there again to take a closer looks at those chests. Some looked really charmingly old-fashioned. One of them would like right at home in my room.

There was also a photo exhibit of Nat Geo pictures on one wall of . But of course! A lot of the merchandise also comprised of gear that an actual or aspiring Nat Geo photographer would use. From the vests, coats, Gortex jackets (there was even a wind chamber where you find out how Gortex really keeps you warm), hats, bags, photo equipment. There were photo coffeetable books, digital photography guides, travel books, atlases.

There were also stuff for the budding archeologist, explorer, and adventurer. I even saw a frog dissecting kit. I fell in want with a waterproof binocular set pero with the price of S$229.00, never mind na lang.

A lot of stuff really got me excited and itching to take out my wallet and go kaching. As soon as I am off my sworn abstinence from retail therapy, I am making a beeline for this store.

No comments: