Saturday, March 14, 2009

Race to Witch Mountain

It was a surprisingly fun ride. I came into the theater with little or no expectations. Well, actually truth be told, I was kind of expecting to be disappointed. Add the fact that I vetoed Dragonball in favor of this one. Not a fan of anime then, still not a fan now. I was readying myself to be I told you so'ed in case the movie turned out to be a major suckfest.

But Disney once again surprises me. The last time I had this much fun watching a Disney movie was Sky High. Admittedly, Sky High is the better movie. But the film's got its own share of laughs and action that makes the time pass by quickly. And the male lead (not The Rock, the kid Seth) is as cute or even cuter than Michael Angarano's Will Stronghold.

**Warning: Spoilers coming up**

Of course any show with the slightest hint of superpowers is bound to be compared to Heroes. The girl Sarah reminds me of Claire. But only because they're both blondes. Which Hero was telekinetic and a telepath again? Or am I channeling the XMen now? Its so hard to keep all these superbeings straight these days.

Race to Witch Mountain is a fun, painless and definitely enjoyable way to spend two hours of your weekend. Of course don't expect cinematic genius from this film. But you could never ask that of any Disney film anyway.

No comments: