Monday, August 10, 2009

How Can Three Days Go By So Quickly?

7 am, too early to be up on a Saturday

Today happens to be one of those once in a blue moon times when I don't hate Mondays because its holiday! We just came from a three-day weekend. Spent Saturday and Sunday at Desaru, Malaysia in a retreat with my Lingkod kapatids. Better said, we spent most of Saturday on the way to Desaru. The traffic from the Singapore border to the Malaysian immigration office was horrendous. We spent around 2 hours in a line of endless buses. The distance could have easily been covered by foot in less than an hour I think. But since it was a long weekend, half of Singapore and its expat community went on a mass exodus. The other half stayed to watch the parade and fireworks.

The road to Desaru was filled with plantation upon plantation of rubber trees. At first glance I thought it was a coconut grove but they were too short and squat to be coconut trees. Does Goodyear and Firestone get all its supply from Malaysia? Because it sure looks that way. It was rubber trees as far as the eye can see and it went on for miles. Think of two hours travel and all you can see are rubber trees. Somebody commented that the soil there looked yellow and it does look like it could be limestone. Maybe that's why all they planted were rubber trees since nothing else would grow.

Desaru the resort was a letdown. The facilities were rundown and not to mention dusty. I tried to avoid lingering indoors and went out to breathe in the sea breeze as much as a closed door retreat would allow me. The beach was beautiful. I loved walking on the sand in my bare feet playing catch with the waves. Too bad, I only had a few minutes to enjoy since we were pressed for time.

Aside from the limited time we had for exploring the place, the retreat was such a wonderful experience. Our speaker was really great and clearly knows what he is talking about. His conviction and passion just inspires you. You can access his blog at www.bobbyquitain.wordpress.com if you want funny, insightful and straight to the heart commentary on the Gospel and today's human condition.

I wish we spent more time at Desaru not only to reflect on God's Word but also to just sit on the beach and stare at nature's beauty and let body and soul recharge.

No comments: