Sunday, February 19, 2012

A World Far Removed from Ours

I wonder how I would have fared during those pioneer times when your biggest worry was if the chickens laid enough eggs for food or the cows gave enough for milk and butter. When if you want fish, you caught it yourself. 

It sounds like a great big adventure. But I think I'm only saying that because I did not have to live through it. I think I can gather eggs, milk cows and catch fish well enough but not having indoor plumbing might take a big chunk out of my fortitude. Not to mention having to do the laundry by hand. I know that plenty of people still live without the benefit of washing machines and flushing toilets. I know that in many places around the world, people still live like they were in pioneer times. 

So even if this world is as messed up as it is. Even with all its complications, all this evil, I think I still prefer to be here. I'm a child of my time, what can I say. I just have to rise above all the wickedness and feed my soul all the goodness I can find. I haven't been as faithful as I should. I could have been more kind and compassionate and grateful. The coming Lenten season next week reminds me to focus more on God and  His gift of himself. To make it more about Him and less about me. I will try. I will really, really try. 

No comments: