Monday, February 27, 2012

The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr. Morris Lessmore (2011)

I watched this precious gem of  a short film just a while ago and even without dialog, it managed to make me teary-eyed. It won as Best Animated Short Film at the 2012 Oscars. I didn't totally get the intention of the film but I gathered that books make life more colorful. It gives us impetus to go after our dreams. It makes life worth living somehow. That life is not black and white but all sorts of colors.

And my biggest takeaway would have to be a line from one of the books in the story. It goes, "If life is enjoyed, does it have to make sense?". That really struck a chord inside me. It is true that a lot of people are living lives outside our own perceptions of how life should be lived. But they are having fun and pardon the pun, having the time of their lives. We secretly envy them because deep inside we know we don't have the courage to do as they did and step away from the drawn lines of what our lives should be like.

They break away from the crowd and in the process managed to find what truly makes them happy. They live happy, fulfilled lives until the very end. I know a lot of people are playing at being happy with their lives. Too scared to take the big leap because the status quo is better than what the great unknown might bring. They think that there might be something better but stop short of going after it because what if there actually isn't and this is as good as it gets?

It feels like I'm talking to myself but I really hope not because that would be a really sad thing. In the meantime, please enjoy and be moved by this little masterpiece.

No comments: