Saturday, September 22, 2007

Another Weird Habit

I've written about some of my weird habits and quirks here. I have another weird and I think bad habit (ergo, should get rid of it) to share. I read most reading materials backwards. This means that I start reading the last few pages first and then work my way to the front or just read randomly after I finish with the last few pages. This applies to magazines, brochures, newspapers, and even books.

And the latest victim of this crime, which will have dedicated Potterheads raising their arms in protest, is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows aka Book 7 (yeah, I know I'm several light years behind sa uso). I actually read the last 2 chapters first before even opening the first page. To think that I actively avoided reading spoilers so that I can read it in the book first.

Actually the real reason I do this, aside from my not knowing the meaning of the term delayed gratification is that I really can't stand the suspense. I have to know there is a happy ending. I read better if I know that they all live happily ever after at the last page. I can leisurely read knowing at even at its most tense and suspenseful, the hero lives. Sad endings bum me out.

I know that people would be horrified by this way of reading. It sounds like I miss the whole point in the exercise of reading literature. I will try to read the "normal" way but this early I have a feeling, its going to be a losing battle.

No comments: