Take a swim in Hanauma Bay, Oahu
Hanauma Bay is a marine sanctuary in Honolulu. Its a very beautiful place and they intend to keep it that way so maybe that's why they have all these strict rules in place. A sample, "Don't pee in the water, the fish doesn't need your nutrients." You're supposed to do it only in the restrooms provided. Which is quite a distance from the beach. So if you can't quite make it, I supposed you could do it in the sand. I doubt if anyone would be the wiser. :D And then there's "Use only waterproof sunblock or sunscreen." So it won't dissolve in the water I suppose and pollute the sea.
"Don't feed the fish." So that we avoid upsetting the food chain. If fish get used to commercial fish feed, they won't hunt anymore and goodness only knows the effect it has on the ecological balance of the place. Plus they make all first time visitors watch a 15-minute movie on the importance of preserving our marine resources. After watching the movie, you are supposed to register yourself so that you won't have to watch it again the next time you visit. One of my classmates watches it everytime he goes to Hanauma. He must have watched it at least 5 times already. I asked him why he does it and he said that he enjoys the film. Okaay.....
Fire a gun
When an officemate dragged me to this gun safety seminar a long time ago. I think I did pretty well because the instructor said I did pretty well. :D He also added that as a general rule, girls are better shots than guys. Yey! Score one for girl power! I still remember many of the important points of the seminar but I forgot a lot more. Like how to take the safety off a gun. Maybe its time for another seminar again.
Participate in a Hawaiian Luau
I think the quintessential luau food of kalua pig is overrated. Its pig cooked underground by burying it together with heated volcanic rocks. I think it tastes like lechon paksiw with far less vinegar.
At a luau, a hula show is mandatory. And they usually ask participants from the audience to dance with them. Of course, me being me, I had to volunteer. I volunteered for the Tahitian and one of my classmates commented after that I looked like a meter stick trying to dance. Hmp! He wouldn't know real talent if it jumped up and bit him in the posterior. Sniff. And oh yeah, poi tastes horrible.
I think I see what my classmate meant. :D
Live in a cabin with no electricity and indoor plumbing for two weeks
When I was a preschooler, my parents used to dump me and my sister at my lola's house way up in the mountains. Where, you guessed it, there was no electricity and we did our business over a hole in the ground. I had to take a bath near a tabay (deep well) a kilometer away. Now, that's what I call roughing it. I remember the first time I arrived, I immediately asked where the TV was. I was a TV junkie even as a five year old. :D But those times spent in my lola's house where some of the best I had. Hunting for bats, killing baby snakes that dared to venture into our garden, pulling up peanut plants to get to the goodies under. Haahhh...
Own a celebrity autograph
Did you know I once had Piolo's autograph? Yes, The PIOLO. Of course back then, he wasn't as popular as he is now. We were just strolling in Ayala one time and we saw this incredibly good looking guy on the stage. I remember he was with Angelika dela Cruz that time. Model yata sya ng Hammerhead nuon. There were only a few people lining up so nakisabay na rin kami. :D Even then, jologs na talaga ako. :D Nasan na kaya yung autograph na yun.
Tour the temples and art treasures of Kyoto
We did this a long time ago when we were still in training in Osaka. I remember when we were on the bus to Kinkakuji, a British guy striked up a conversation with me. I don't know what came over me, but I poured out the heartbreak I was suffering then to him. It was probably triggered because he asked me if I had a boyfriend. After the bus ride, he handed me his card and told me to call him up in London whenever I needed someone to talk to. Uhhh, right.
Writing this made me realize that its been a long time since I did anything for the first time. I should plan for something na para I can check off one more item from The Wish List. "Do now, what I keep saying I ought to do someday."
No comments:
Post a Comment