Saturday, September 01, 2007

A Rush of Memories

As I was cleaning out my room today (a looooong, tedious process) I came across some things I forgot I had. I found a disk plus a calling card from some mexican navy man we met while we were in Bangkok several years ago. The disk contained a documentary about Taxco, Acapulco and some place I can't quite spell. And the calling card was from someone called:

Teniente de Navio, C.G.
Ricardo A. Desgarennes Salas
Jefe Palo Trinquete

Ka-entiendes mo? Ako kay wala. :D

My friend and I booked ourselves a tour to the floating market, the wats (temples) and the elephant grounds. Little did we knew that some mexican navy officers on a diplomatic mission to Bangkok were also in our tour group. So our motley crew was composed of about 4-5 mexican men and me and my friend.

First off was the floating markets. I was hesitant to get on the boats at first. The mexicans said not too worry because they would save us in case the boat overturned. I told them drowning was the least of my worries. The water was so inky black, I had visions of the whole hepatitis alphabet.

Then we went to the wats. There must have been a thousand buddhas there. I had buddha overload after that. Not to mention blurry vision from all the gold we saw. Each buddha was either gold-plated or painted gold.

Then we went to this zoo type thing. Where we saw crocodiles, tigers and elephants playing soccer. We got to ride an elephant too. Which was when I learned that not only do I have car, sea, and airsickness, kasali pa pala pati elephant sickness. I also got to pose real close with a tiger. Too close for comfort in my opinion.

T00 bad we didn't bring digicams then so my pictures are all in hardcopy and since I don't have a scanner, they would remain that way for quite some time.

After the tour, the mexicans invited us for diplomatic cocktails on board their ship. Which was styled like a galleon. You know, like those pirate ships you see in movies. The ship was really pretty with a woman figure near the bow.

Now the invitation presented a problem for us. "What would I wear?!" I never went to Bangkok expecting to attend a formal function. And how would I get there? Since the galleon was docked in the port and our hotel was quite far from there.

Luckily one of the managers of the hotel was also invited and offered me a ride. I put on the most feminine clothes I brought plus this $300 sapphire necklace that I bought from a jewelry store the tour guide brought us to. My most expensive piece of jewelry so far. Para feeling rich din ako. When we arrived at the ship, it was sooo obvious that I was severely underdressed. Dinala ko na lang sa attitude and feeling I belong ang show. Plus of course, hiding behind the furniture para di halata ang aking lack of sartorial elegance.

It was boring as all diplomatic cocktails are wont to be. Not that I've attended many, yun pa lang in my lifetime. The mayor or some high official of Bangkok was also there so security was pretty tight. Buti na lang di ako napagkamalan na stowaway. Tapos, they were either speaking Spanish or Thai. Nalost ang beauty ko. Di ko rin keri makipagsabayan sa mga nag-e-english kasi nahihiya ako sa suot ko. Kaya siguro nabored ako. Wallflower ang aking beauty, poor me. :D

Not long after, the party broke up and I went back home to my rundown hotel. Na sabi ng kasabayan namin sa plane pauwi sa Pinas eh haunted pala. Wa naman ako nafeel na anything supernatural. Buti na lang.

No comments: