Today is the feast day of the patron saint Senor Sto. Nino of my beloved home city. They say that Cebu is blessed because they venerate the Holy Family. The child Jesus, Senor Sto. Nino for Cebu City, St. Joseph for Mandaue and the Virgin Mary(Birhen sa Regla) for Lapu-lapu City.
The tail end of the year up to the end of January's new year is a never ending parade of festivities for my city. There's Christmas, New Year and right after that the Sinulog festivities. You can't help but be caught up in the excitement. The rhythmic beat of the drums, the colorful costumes, the fantastical floats, the fervor of the devoted crowd. Walang binatbat ang Chingay parade dito sa Sg.
I have always made sure to attend at least one of the novena masses before the grand parade. My favorite part is when we sing the Bato Balani. Its a song of prayer, worship and supplication to the child Jesus.
But I have never completed the novena masses though. Nor have I attended the procession or fluvial parade. It takes exile from one's home to realize what you have taken for granted all these years. Complacent that you have all the time in the world to witness them later. Only hindsight it seems has 20/20 vision.
I do hope one of these day the chinese new year falls on the weekend of Sinulog and without a second thought and mas mabilis pa sa alas kwatro, I'll be booking my flight home. As it is, its hard to ask for time off right after spending more than a week back home for Christmas.
I have to content myself with watching videos and listening to the songs and sounds of Sinulog. Even though it makes me miss home even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment