I just came from the annual Lingkod Christmas party at the Missionaries of Charity (Mother Teresa's order) orphanage. It was fun and messy. Emphasis on messy. With more than 20 kids and babies, what can you expect. This year we decided to spare ourselves the headache and got Jollibee to host the party for us.
We also hired a magician to entertain the kids. I was surprised though when I saw the magician. It was a kid! Who couldn't have been more than 12 years old. But in fairness he was good. The kids were all enthralled. One kid even asked me how he did it and if he had power in his hands. I was stumped for an answer. How do you explain magic to a 6 year old? I finally told her that he did not have power. It's just magic. The kid looked like she wasn't convinced. :D I explained that magic isn't about power, its about practice. That seemed to satisfy her. Thank goodness I wasn't subjected to an endless stream of whys and whats. I'm not clever enough to fool a preschooler. :D
Then it was presents time! The girls were given dolls and the boys drum sets among other stuff. I wanted to fall in line for presents too. :D One kid returned the gift with the doll inside saying that she didn't want it. Her friend replied, then you won't have a doll then, and she promptly snatched it back. I guess she did not liked how it was wrapped. :D
It was bemusing to see the children tear into their presents. Their obvious joy and delight in receiving their toys and candies was so palpable I want to bottle it up and open it for when I get the blues. Christmas is magical for children and I'm glad I took part in bringing that magic to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment