I have been faithfully attending the Simbang Gabi masses for six days or rather dawns now. Sometimes I have to bring my own chair because the crowd spills over to the church grounds and there is no place to sit. But usually because I go there 15-20 minutes before the service, I can get a place inside. Our church is still a work in progress. It used to be a small kapilya where I have never attended mass inside because it was always full. I have experienced attending Simbang Gabi under the rain huddled on my monobloc chair and trying to stay dry under my puny umbrella. But there is something to be said for attending mass under the stars and slowly witnessing the sky turn from dark to light. To witness the break of a new day is a special blessing indeed.
Now our church is more than 10x bigger than our tiny kapilya. Somebody donated land for the church and it started from there. Of course, its far from finished. I think a lot of work still needs to be done but its a church nonetheless. And I no longer have to attend mass feeling like a drowned rat in case it rains.
This is the third time I am trying to complete the 9-day dawn masses. I first did it in 2004 and true enough my wish came true in 2005. I tried to do it again in 2005 but I guess that what I wished for that time was too big that God did not let me finish the whole nine masses. I slept through my alarm clock that year. Something that has never happened before because I am such a light sleeper. I completed the Simbang Gabi again in 2006 and God did grant my wish during 2007. This year, I hope that I can complete it again. Six down and three more to go.
My church (which is a mere 3 minute walk from my house) has decided to hold a parol-making contest in order to have decorations for Christmas. And mao na ang connect sa title with this post. :D Behold the creations of my creative neighbors. Some are seriously tacky but made with much love and Christmas cheer.
Merry Christmas everyone! I hope that the stars shine on you this year and onto the next.
No comments:
Post a Comment