Monday, December 10, 2007

To Give or not to Give

There is a steady parade of beggars knocking on our gate these days. Sometimes they yell out (no way can it be considered as singing) Christmas carols, oftentimes they just directly ask for something. Now the problem with giving is that if you give an inch, they will take a mile. Maghatag ka kausa, adlaw-adlawn naka bisitaon para mangayo. Mag-anad in other words. And it seems like they have an informal network because then you have a dozen more asking for alms. Its like your house has suddenly become a landmark to them. They invite their friends along and make your house a daily stop in their routine. And sometimes they are not content with visiting you once a day, they also come again at night hoping that you won't recognize them in the dark.

Now, while I am not as compassionate as other people, kahibalo sad ko malooy. But these people take advantage of that somehow and really push your capacity to give. These days, they are not content with just knocking on the gate or shouting, "Ayo, ayooooooo!", they know now to use the doorbell. And persistently at that. I had one kid ring the doorbell a dozen times until I told them to go away.

I know its Christmas and I know that even if its not Christmas, its our Christian duty to share with our less fortunate brothers and sisters. Pero makalagot lang gyud usahay uy. Mag-anad man gud. Tapos mamugos pa gyud.

But I have no plans of being a Scrooge this Christmas. I am going to do my part in giving to the poor. I'm just going to give to those who have no idea where I live.

No comments: