Thursday, January 17, 2008

Missing the Beach

I'm not a beach person. I mean I can go to a beach and not take a dip and I won't ever regret it afterwards. Not even if that beach happens to be in Hawaii. But for some reason nowadays, I miss the sun, sea and surf. Maybe because its been cloudy and gray for most of the month. It's not even raining, which I love. Just a general grayness in the weeks that passed.

When I try to remember the beaches I've been to and I try to think which is my favorite, it would have to be Siargao. Particularly, a white sandbar strip that we went to while island hopping. The water was so clear and inviting. I could still remember it vividly.

Now, I've been to a whole lot of beaches so I guess I can say that I have a fairly large sample to choose from. I've been to Camiguin, Boracay, Samal Island in Davao, Dakak, Pagudpud, Sumilon Island, Bohol, Dumaguete, Honda Bay and Sabang in Palawan, Malapascua, Bantayan, the resort beaches around Cebu and Mactan, and many of the beautiful beaches in Hawaii. Hanauma Bay, Waikiki and Kailua are stand outs.

But I would still choose Siargao. Maybe it had something to do with all the fun we had there. The cluelessness we had about the place. And the pain it took to get there. We had to wait in the Surigao town plaza for the local Jollibee to open because we got left behind by the early morning ferry that would get us to the island. We washed our face and brushed our teeth in Jollibee, constantly on the watch for the crew kay basin makasab-an mi. Lingaw ra gihapon. :D

sirenas nga naglinya (Siargao 2002)

I still have to go to Bali and Phuket which will hopefully happen this year. But I don't think Siargao would be replaced as my favorite beach in the world. It's just so beautiful there. Kelan kaya ako makakabalik?

No comments: