Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Preparing for Christmas

But I don't mean the gift shopping and decorating parts. Although I already made a dent on my Christmas shopping list. I had an inspired idea for a gift and immediately went to buy some. We also haven't gotten around to putting up any Christmas ornaments yet. My Lola's health problems just did not give us any time or opportunity to do so.

I spiritually prepared for Christmas by attending an Advent retreat. It was just a one day retreat conducted by a Colombian priest and a Spanish brother of the Verbum Dei. I have been to the Verbum Dei retreat house before but this time around, I was missing Negra. Negra is a super cute and super frisky dachshund. Pablo (the Spanish brother) named her Negra because she's pure black. I guess Negra is the Spanish equivalent of Blackie in these parts. :D They said they gave Negra away because she's so samukan. I admit that Negra can be a bit too much sometimes. Masyado kasing friendly and needy.

I already attended an Advent retreat last year but I like this year much better because it was more fruitful for me. I realized more things and was inspired so much by our speakers and by the sharing of my co-Lingkod members.

That is one of the beauties of joining a community. You get a built-in support group. You get a forum where you can share your innermost thoughts and feelings and not be judged for them. You have a safe environment where you be totally truthful about what you are really going through. And since many of my co-members are so grounded and have gone through so much, they can really serve as an inspiration. And when they share, you just find yourself nodding in agreement. Because you can totally relate. They just articulated what you've been having trouble finding the words to express. And you get all these nuggets of wisdom which you know you need and can actually use.

With the retreat I feel better prepared for the Christmas season. Not only did I received material gifts way in advance (courtesy of my sister) but also the spiritual gifts I needed. Truly Christmas is early this year.

No comments: