Monday, November 05, 2007

When I'm Old and Gray

When I'm in my dotage already, I wonder who will take care of me? I ponder this topic now because I remember my lola. My lola who was recently hospitalized. My grandmother is luckier than many golden "agers" because we try to take excellent care of her. She has two nursing aides looking after her as well as a general caretaker. Complete lahat ng vitamins nya and we try to get her the best (as in mahal!) beddings and pillows so that she will be very comfortable as she is in bed most of the time.

I wonder if I can be as lucky as her. Us female geriatrics cannot expect to be taken cared of by our husbands since its a well known statistic that men die earlier than women. So most probably we will be left to fend for ourselves during our last few years on earth. Hindi ko naman ine-expect that my children will take personal care of me since I know that they will have their own lives to lead. Maybe we won't even be in the same country.

Another thing I dread is being dependent on other people financially. As in you won't even have the dignity to pay for your own medical bills when you are old and sick. My lola receives a pension from the US government due to my lolo. (Who may or may not been a US citizen. :D I have to investigate pa) So my lola can pay for herself even now.

Gusto ko self-sustaining pa rin ako kahit na I'm nearing the triple age digits na. My family on my mother's side live to a ripe old age. Naabutan ko pa ang lola ng mommy ko who died at the age of 99. I'm hoping I inherited the same genes. :D

Right now I am going to prioritize retirement savings. Sabi nga sa isang financial article na nabasa ko, when you have extra money, better put it into your retirement fund kesa sa college fund ng anak mo because your children will have a lot of options later (school loans, scholarships etc) while you won't have as much.

No comments: